The Committee for Monastic Communities is tasked with the strengthening and encouraging fraternal relations between monastic communities of all jurisdiction by convening an annual Synaxis of superiors of all Assembly monasteries.
Metropolitan Tikhon (OCA) - Chairman
To Be Determined
Terms of Reference
What is to be accomplished
- Compile a database to include all the monastic communities of all the different jurisdictions in the region; database to include historical references (e.g. founder, date, etc.), size of brotherhood, details on property and facilities, etc.
- Identify proper ecclesiastical authority for each monastery (i.e. ruling bishop)
- Collect and catalogue the monastic constitutions and related documents used within the various jurisdictions
- Create a matrix that places each monastery within the three traditional forms of monasticism: eremitic, coenobitic or idiorhythmic
- Identify outliers, if any, that do not conform to any established monastic tradition
How it is to be accomplished
- Contact local bishops, monasteries, etc. for information on monastic institutions and their regulations/ constitutions/ governance process
With whom it is to be accomplished
- Local Bishops
- Chancellors and/or Synodal Secretaries
- Abbots and Abbesses of Monastic institutions