The Committee for Liturgy is expected i) to catalogue and compare various translations, rubrics, Typika, and liturgical books; and ii) to develop and suggest a common translation of basic liturgical texts (e.g. the Symbol of Faith, the Our Father, etc.).
Bishop Apostolos (GOA) - Chairman
Fr. Nicolas Kazarian
To Be Determined
Terms of Reference
What is to be accomplished
- Establish a digital catalogue of all English-language liturgical texts (together with rubrics and typika), whether in use or not, from all the jurisdictions/presences in the USA, including non-canonical groups, (England, Canada and Australia can be considered as well)
- Compile any and all official English language translations in current use among the jurisdictions/presences
- Establish an ad hoc group in order to compare various translations of liturgical services in use
- Catalogue and compare the rubrics and typika in current usage
- Develop and suggest a common translation of basic biblical and liturgical texts (e.g. the Symbol of Faith, the Our Father, etc.)
- Examine the theological understanding of the Liturgy to bring new insights in an era where the Church has in many ways been reduced to an association, the Holy Eucharist to just one among many other mysteries, and the Liturgy to a ceremony.
How it is to be accomplished
- Establish connections to the various seminary libraries in order to establish a digital matrix of the extant English language liturgical material
- Ascertain from synodal or equivalent authorities from each jurisdiction/presence any and all official , endorsed and/or promulgated texts
- Create a mode (e.g. a "hexapla") of comparison of like texts and rubrics
- Establish an ad hoc group of translators that can develop recommended English language translations of basic texts
With whom it is to be accomplished
- Any official committees already in place within the jurisdictions
- Seminary librarians and liturgical professors, as well as Orthodox professors of liturgy at other institutions.
- Translators recommended by Bishops of the Assembly and any others who surface through a survey of current translation activity among the jurisdictions